kPoint offers a SharePoint webpart plugin which simplifies the process of embedding kPoint video in Sharepoint. This document describes steps to install and use kPoint SharePoint webpart plugin. Currently SharePoint webpart plugin is available for SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 versions.
- SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013
- Admin credentials for Sharepoint
How to get it
You need to write to email@example.com to get kPoint’s SharePoint webpart. We will be more than happy to mail you and help you get it working.
- Ease of embedding kPoint video’s within Sharepoint
- Capture analytics data and share back to kPoint
Installing and using SharePoint webpart
Add SharePoint webpart
An installation script is provided along with kPoint ‘Sharepoint Webpart plugin’ zip file. Unzip the file and navigate to the unzipped folder from the command prompt.
Run Install.bat. You will see options shown in Figure 1.
- Select option 2 (Add New WSP) and press enter
- It will ask you for filename. Please enter filename with extension. Ex. ‘Kpoint.VideoWebpart.wsp’
- Press enter to confirm
You will see success message of SharePoint webpart is added.
Deploy SharePoint webpart to SharePoint site
- Open SharePoint Central Administration in browser.
- Go to System Settings > Manage Farm solutions.
You will see screen shown in Figure 2. You will see kPoint webpart plugin with status as ‘Not deployed’.
- Clicking on it will open screen showing its details. On top of the page, you will see deploy solution step. Click on it.
- Select the SharePoint site where you want to deploy this solution and click OK.
- You will see screen like Figure 2 again but status of the plugin will be ‘Deployed’.
Make SharePoint webpart available for use at site level.
- Go to SharePoint site where you have deployed the webpart.
- Go to Site Settings. This option is available to Site Admins. You will see page shown in Figure 3.
- Click on Web parts to open screen shown in Figure 4.
- Here you will see all the webparts available to site.
- To add kPoint webpart, go to New Document and click it.
- This will open Webpart gallery.
- Select kPoint webpart and click on populate gallery button.
- Now the kPoint webpart is available to be used at site level.
Using SharePoint webpart
- Now go to editing a SharePoint page.
- Go to Insert > Webpart
- You can locate kPoint webpart under miscellaneous. Refer to screen shown in Figure 6.
- Select it and click on Add. Refer to screen shown in Figure 6.
Now we need to configure this webpart to use kPoint video.
- Select the webpart and click on Edit webpart, refer figure 7.
- You will see following screen as shown in figure 8.
- Go to Custom Settings.
Add kPoint video url (Ex. https://showcase.kpoint.com/kapsule/gcc-07e92a78-3bfb-45d1-a759-d20d5c21d88d) and configure its width and height.
- Click on OK to see kPoint video embedded in page as shown in figure 9.
kPoint Webpart Security
kPoint’s access controls are applied on videos embedded using SharePoint webpart. This ensures appropriate security to the videos while distribution.
- SSO Environment
- If SSO is enabled in Sharepoint domain and kPoint domain is also integrated with it then same user identity used to access the Sharepoint page will be used by kPoint. All ACLs of the user will also be applied.
- Non SSO Environment
If SSO is not enabled in Sharepoint domain, kPoint will prompt the user for login credentials and only after successful authentication user is authorized to view video. All public kPoint videos will not require any ACLs